Sunday, March 16, 2008

"Of droughts and flooding rains"...

Dorothea MacKellar said it so well in "A Sunburnt Country". What is happening with our weather? I know it's "change of season", but icy cold one day, burning hot the next?
It is Autumn, after all, and despite the heat, I can assure you it will definitely get cold, eventually. So that I can enjoy wearing my new winter jeans and coat that I bought two weeks ago in a cold snap!

Australians love to write and sing about the weather, as did Crowded House in their song lyrics "Everywhere you go, you always take the weather with you". My dear DH knows this only too well. He travels interstate with his work, and is famous for taking our Sydney weather with him. (Sydney weather, lately, despite having had six years of drought, has been extremely wet, with torrential rains and flooding, which mainly occurs in our rumpus room but that's another story - there must be a lot of plumbers on BRW's Top 100 Rich List.)

DH went to Melbourne, 1 1/2 hours flight south, hadn't rained for ages, started pouring as soon as he got there and rained until he left. Then Perth, 4 hours flight west, same deal, except it hadn't rained for months. Yes, it's all his fault, now you know who to blame. And he's owning up to Brisbane as well. So if you need rain, let me know, I'll fly him to you for a reasonable fee.

1 comment:

Melinda said...

I concur - the weather is absolutely crazy. At the moment it's nice April weather - clear skies, occasional rain, with a cold crisp feeling in the air. I hope it lasts - I want a winter!