Wednesday, May 7, 2008

embroidery and beads



I worked on this vintage-style bag while on a short break at Port Stephens, north of Sydney. It is crocheted from thick Aussie merino/alpaca/acrylic blend (INCA from Patons) using a smaller hook to provide firmness. The wrist strap is part of the basic bag piece so it is strong yet soft.
Then I embroidered flowers and leaves in a loose diagonal design, in various berry and wine shades, again in pure new Australian merino wool. Pretty, but it needed a little bit of sparkle. So I added tiny glass seed beads to highlight the flowers.
And lined it with hot pink fabric (because I hate dark bag linings, it's so hard to find anything!).

These little bags are perfect for day or evening, and easy to carry on your wrist. Roomy enough for coin purse, phone, ipod, lipstick, mirror. Available for sale in my etsy shop

No comments: